Advice for sellers, some things a buyer wants
As the real estate market changes so do the buyers needs. This will never end, so if you are considering selling your home and wondering what you can do to make your home more marketable, here are a few ideas. This is according to a poll taken at marketwatch.com.
- Separate laundry room- Some times this will not be an option but consider converting a large closet to this space. Even better if you can make it work on the main level or upper level of the home. The more convenient the better.
- More storage and built-ins- Think of any spare area you have in your home. The utility room is always a great place to start. This doesn’t have to be a huge project but if there is room to add some shelves, do it!
- Home office- This one is easy to do. When you list your home this can still be listed as a bedroom but take a spare if you have one and stage it like a home office. It doesn’t have to be the ultimate home office just a space that is set up so the buyer can see there office in that space.
- Outdoor living area / Grilling area- Buyers want to use all of the home and feel there is real value in any “extra living areas” like a deck or patio. If you have neither a small stamped patio is very reasonable to put in and helps to make the back yard seem all the more usable and part of the home.
- A 2nd bedroom that has a private bath- This one is tough to do on the main level however if you have a lower level bedroom and the extra space, adding a bathroom even if it is a 3/4 bath will always payoff in a big way when selling. The down side is it is the most expensive must have on the list. If this is something you can’t do. Don’t assume you are doomed. Most buyers don’t get a home with everything on their list.
- Everyday eating space close to the kitchen- Lots of choices with this one. I had a seller who put in a center island with wheels. They could use it for prep when cooking or move it to the side of the counter and turn it into a breakfast bar. Be creative you may surprise yourself.
Some of these are easy to accomplish and some are not. I am not suggesting that you spend a ton of money to make them a reality, just consider your options.